Friday, May 19, 2006

The Da Vinci Code ~ Are you sick of it, yet?

Well, are you sick of hearing about Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code", yet? I'm getting there.

I've really been looking forward to the movie, despite the fact that my family is up in arms at me about it. They say it's "heresy" and "blasphemy". Well, yes, the book / movie is very blasphemous. But, I still look at it as a work of F-I-C-T-I-O-N and for that fact (minus the bit about Jesus and Mary Magdalene), I love it! I've read the book twice!

Today I was reading the threads on a Christian women's forum I belong to, and they were talking about The Da Vinci Code (DVC). Most of them are totally against it. They refuse to buy the book or read it because that would be 'supporting the devil's work'. Well, hmmm... On the one hand, I want to agree with them. But, on the other hand, I don't. Yes, the book is full of controversial issues (duh...), but by reading it myself, and by reading companion books like Bart Ehrman's "Truth & Fiction in the Da Vinci Code" (or even his other book, "Lost Christianities"), I feel that I can talk about the DVC without ignorance. I know what the book says and I know the TRUTH! I've read God's Word, and I've read Mr. Ehrman's work, and I don't believe a bit about the Da Vinci Code!

If you want to know why I don't think that Jesus & Mary Magdalene had a child, click here to read my other blog entry about it! ;o)

One lady on the forum based her opinion on Philippians 4:8... "Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." She asks, "Does 'The DVC' measure up to those standards?" Well, no. It doesn't. It's not 'true', it's not 'pure', and it's not 'honorable'. Therefore, this lady says, we should avoid it at all costs! And, she has a point ...

Regardless, I'm of the camp that says we shouldn't 'fear' Dan Brown's book (or movie), but that we should see it as an opportunity to educate the world about the history of Christianity, and the TRUTH ("You shall know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free!" ~ John 8:32)

2 comments:

Andy said...

mizbooks - good post. No doubt you've seen my opinion on it, which I share with you. We have nothing to be afraid of if we already know the TRUTH. How can we systematically refute the inaccuracies in the book if we haven't read the book?

I agree that it's an entertaining piece of fiction - and that's all it will ever be.

BookCafe said...

Thanks, Andy! I'm glad *someone* agrees with me! ;o)