Saturday, December 10, 2005

Blaise Pascal

A few days ago I got a copy of Blaise Pascal's "PENSEÉS" ("thoughts") out of the library. I've been browsing through it, and I find it fascinating.
I'm not agreeing with *everything* I've read in the book, so far -- he's a Jansenist, I'm a Baptist; we're bound to disagree on certain things -- but other points I'm thoroughly agreeing with. I find myself wanting to read passage after passage to my husband. LOL
A quote I liked from the chapter entitled, "Fundamentals of Religion and Answers to Objections" - #446 [68-510] -

"Man is not worthy of God, but not incapable of being made worthy of Him. It is unworthy of God to unite Himself with miserable man; but it is not unworthy of God to rescue man from his misery."

It is true that we're not worthy, but that God *makes* us worthy! He made us worthy when He took our place on the Cross at Calvary! Hallelujah! All we need to do is accept His *free* gift!
More on Blaise Pascal to come....

No comments: